Friday, April 2, 2010

Too Bubbly? My Joy comes from the LORD

When I was in 5th grade, I won an award....Student of the year. At the ceremony, the teachers had a tradition of saying the qualities or character of the student before the name of the award winner was announced. As the teacher described the winner, she said, "This student has a bubbly personality...she is a hard worker...she has lots of energy..." I thought she was describing me, but I wasn't sure. The students chanted, it's Laura, it's Laura...she won the student of the year award." I was so excited when finally my name was announced by the teacher. I have always loved school. I love to learn. I love to do my best at a subject and I ALWAYS loved to write. But I am not going to blog about school. This blog is about ENTHUSIASM.

What exactly does it mean to have a "bubbly" personality? I have been told that I am "bubbly" all my life. I have energy, I have enthusiasm...but over the last few years I began to wonder... Am I annoying? Do people think I am fake? Do people think I am over-exaggerating my zeal for God and exaggerating my excitement for life?
Once my husband even asked me are you REALLY that excited about that or this?
I hid these things in my heart. In recent years I pondered the question...what makes me bubbly and joyful? You made me Jesus....but I don't want to annoy people with my personality. I gave my questions to the LORD. Then one day, as our LORD kindly does when we spend time in His word...He gave me an answer. I was reading a devotion by Pastor Jon Courson and he was talking about Joy. Joy, as we know, is a fruit of the Spirit. (But the fruit of the Spirit is love, JOY, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness. Gal 5:22. Emphasis mine.) Interestingly enough, it's the second fruit listed in Galatians (listed after love.) Well, as I read this devotion, I started to cry. You see, Pastor Jon stated that the word enthusiasm, comes from the root word in the Greek 'entheos' en- (meaning in) and theos - God. So enthusiasm means "full of God." I am not crazy! I thought...this enthusiasm you put in my LORD is joy or enthusiasm or excitement for God. I felt that overwhelming peace that only comes from the LORD. All these years people would ask me....Where does your joy come from? Why are you happy all the time? Where do you get your energy? Where do you get such enthusiasm? In my adult years I would tell people, it's from the LORD. It's Jesus. It's just the joy of the LORD that you see in me... Little did I know, that the very root definition of the word "enthusiasm" means, full of God. One definition describes it this way: enthusiasm - overflowing with eager enjoyment or approval
Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm," Now we know the definition of enthusiasm has changed over the years and one can be "enthusiastic" about anything, sports, music, travel, work, family, etc. For me, I continue to enjoy a life that is "full of God" or full of joy or full of Jesus. I know sometimes my personality might be too extroverted for some...and I am praying to know when to speak, and when to be silent. I am praying and asking Jesus to help me be a better listener...I can be enthusiastic or joyful without being overbearing or annoying...Bottom line, the joy of the LORD truly is my strength period. (Nehemiah 8:10b) Thank you Jesus for making me joyful. My joy is a gift from you and I am thankful!

3 comments:

  1. Ah my Laura!
    First of all let me say how proud I am of you for taking this step of faith and starting your own blog! I know without a shadow of a doubt that God is going to use this blog as a tool to show how a life devoted to Him is a JOYous one (may not be a happy one all the time), but definitely a JOYous one!
    Since I met you in 6th grade there was always something about you that was so fun but yet peaceful. We bonded immediatley in a young, fun & carefree friendship! Even though we wasted many of our younger years in foolish things (definitely more me than you) I am estactic that in our early adult years (don't know how else to put it) we have an unbreakable bond that goes beyond mere friendship but true "sisterhood"!!
    God used you many years ago to remind me about His SACRIFICIAL LOVE for me. Thankfully to His grace, several years later now committed to walking in His love, He still uses you to demonstrate His kindness, faithfulness, love and yes even JOY! :)
    Whew-definitely didn't expect to write this much. All I want you to know is that I love you dearly and am and have always been so proud to do life you my friend!
    Fabulous blog...I can't wait for more!!!
    xoxo
    -j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear laura,

    My Hubby says that I'm EXTREME in a very good way. I feel that God has given me the gift of boldness. God made us all uniquely different for a very good reason. We compliment one another.

    I'm very outspoken and direct, whereas my Husband is very meek & quiet. The scripture that comes to mind is Romans Chapter 12

    God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.
    For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function,so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

    Love,
    JanNettie
    P.S. I have offended many with my extreme personality.But,God made me special,and He loves me very much. Good Buy!

    Psalm 139 We are fearfully and wonderfully made.

    2 Cor.12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Laura! You continue to be such an inspiration to so many of us. The Lord keeps whispering how much He will use you. You will touch many sisters. I know you have a special place in my heart.

    I loved reading your blog. I laugh and it made me smile. You have never made anyone uncomfortable because they see the real you. You are filled with the spirit and that is what everyone gets to see in you.
    Please continue to write and share with us that are so busy. Its nice to know that we are not the only one's feeling that way.

    Love Always in Christ,
    Susi

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog