Saturday, April 3, 2010

Jesus Last Breath vs. Man’s (A Reflection on Christ’s Final Moment on the Cross)

When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. John 19:30 (NIV)
And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, "Father, 'into Your hands I commit My spirit.' " Having said this, He breathed His last. Luke 23:46 (NKJV)
Last night, Chuck and I listened to Pastor David’s Good Friday Message online. Olivia fell asleep by 8pm…In order to be sensitive to the kids’ early bed times, we listened to the message live from our living room.
Who would have ever connected the horrid, brutal, death on a Roman cross with sleep? Well, I am blessed to say our pastor David Rosales shared an amazing insight I never heard before and I must share it!
Pastor David shared how young Jewish children would pray a nightly prayer, “Into your hands I commit My spirit…” It was a Jewish type of our well known “Now I lay me down to sleep” prayer that so many of us know. When Jesus said, “Father into Your hands I commit My spirit.” It was as if He was saying good night to this world…to His human tent/body….to the agony and pain of the cross. Jesus was exhausted. He had endured so many hours of beatings and torture…not to mention He stated up the whole night before praying and even sweat drops of blood…due to the intensity of it all. Yet now, He prays a sweet “Night time” prayer, bows He head and voluntarily, peacefully, gives up His own Spirit. The moment was so powerful the Gospel writers note that one of the centurions watching the entire crucifixion admitted Christ was the Son of God (see Luke 23:47, Matt 27:54, Mark 15:39).
This peaceful sleep reminds me of what David said in the Psalms.
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8
Even in difficult circumstances and when danger was at his every side, David could got to sleep peacefully. His rest was in God alone.
This concept of Jesus giving up His last breath in such a peaceful manner is something we all desire. We often say, “When I go [meaning die], I hope I go in my sleep.” I think what people really mean is…they hope they die in their sleep, peacefully, without pain, without sorrow, they hope they simply slip away softly…the same way a child falls to sleep.
I don’t know about you, but I have seen someone close to me take his final breath. My father had a stroke and we were told he had no more cognitive functions. He was in a vegetative state. Nonetheless, the brain and the body all struggled to live. The body continues to try to breath and to stay alive. It is a natural part of our physiology. We want to live…even when our organs and every part of our body is passing away. There is a “fight” to live. My poor dad struggled with his last breaths at life. Even now, it’s hard to talk about it. It’s an image I’ll never forget. The breathing patterns go from heavy, to slow, slower…and then they stop. Then that’s it. No one can stop his/her own body from breathing. If the brain is telling you to continue to breath you keep breathing. No human being can let go of his/her own spirit….except Jesus.
At that moment when Jesus bowed His head and He said His last “night time” prayer…Father, into your Hands I commit my spirit. He let go. He let go of His own spirit and completed the work He was born to accomplish. He paid it all for us. Indeed, Jesus alone was fully God and fully man. Only He could voluntarily give up His life. I am thankful for this new insight God gave to me and I hope it reminds us all of how valuable our Savior His. His life, His Word, His blood and His victory over the grave are all so precious.
May we also DAILY give our Father everything within us so one day we can hear those precious long-for words, “Well done my good and faithful servant.” (Matt 25:21)

5 comments:

  1. Wow laura so beautiful....well said. Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did your father pass? I didn't know that we had that shared experience in common. I also watched my father pass (when I was 15) ... changes your life and perspectives dramatically, doesn't it? Though it is a difficult memory for me to revisit, the way you used it to illustrate your point was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog