Wednesday, April 7, 2010

God in the thought-life

We all know that the world, the flesh and the devil are three strong enemies against us. I would add my own sub-part to the enemy described in the Bible as our flesh--- the enemy of our mind. Here’s an example as to how my thoughts go…
Here I am driving in my car: “Oh cool. Payless is having BOGO right now. Man, why is there so much traffic right now? It’s only 11am. What should I make for dinner? Oh no. Where’s my cell phone? I need some coffee. I wonder how Chuck’s day is going. I should’ve packed him some cough drops. I need laundry soap and coffee creamer from Target. Oh yeah, and baby wipes. I forgot to check my fax machine…Need to do that. Look at that girl walking late to school. Hey, I like her earrings”
I go from one thought, to another random thought to another thought and another…I am blessed that I am not a natural worrier. (Of course I do worry time to time…but it doesn’t consume me. It’s totally the LORD…I am thankful!) But I know many, many people who worry. The Bible says, “Be anxious for nothing but in everything by PRAYER and supplication” Phil 4:6-7. I bet in your thoughts…you are saying the rest of that verse RIGHT NOW.
I must share something. I have been asking God to be the God of my thought-life. It’s amazing the break through He has been working out in my heart and mind. What I mean is, I want my thoughts to be governed by God so I ask Him to lead my thoughts. You probably know this verse too, “Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your MIND” Romans 12:2. This verse is so well known, that sometimes we forget what it means.
Our mind is evil and needs to be renewed. (Jeremiah 17:9-10)My random thoughts take up space and time. I want my time to be governed by God. Time is precious and I don’t want to waste one second on foolish thinking (whether it be worry, or random thoughts). Believe me, I have not arrived at letting go of random pointless thinking. I do it every day! One thing God reminds me to do with my thoughts is to pray. If I am at a stop light, taking the kids for a stroll, waiting to pay for something, cooking dinner, why not use that time to pray for someone? Why not give the LORD your requests and petitions and YOUR PRAISE. Any time is a good time to offer praise. Anytime is a good time to pray for someone. Even for the person in line ahead of you! I’m not trying to be hyper-spiritual or anything…I just want to give God everything. I want Him to be the God of my thought life…the God of ALL of me.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN!! I really liked this post....it was convicting for me! Can you believe I've never asked God to do this...to really be God in my thought life! Ugh! Thank for this! Love you!

    PS...I love the way you started this post...it gave me a great visual!

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog