Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Clinging to Jesus

The LORD has been reminding me over the last few days the importance of clinging to Him. I think we generally think of the word cling in a negative way…First there is “static cling” which is never good…then there are “clingy children” (my kids can be clingy…our children are known to have separation anxiety but they are getting better)

Anyhow, I think we all get the picture. The image of a child clinging to a mother’s neck in a death grip (when mom really has to go) is not a good thing. However, God wants us to cling to Him in that way.

In reading the Word this morning, I came across a couple of interesting verses. Again, the LORD reminded me about clinging to Him.

‘You must fear the LORD your God and worship him and cling to him.’ Deut. 10:20a and Deut. 13:4 says ‘Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him.’ (NLT) Other versions say “hold fast” to Him or “cleave” to Him.
In Luke, when Jesus was talking about the person who bears fruit for Him He said, “But the good soil represents honest, good-hearted people who hear God's message, cling to it, and steadily produce a huge harvest.” Luke 8:15 (NLT)
I remembered how just this Easter Pastor David shared this verse, “Jesus said to her[Mary], "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and [to] My God and your God.' " John 20:17
Here the word “cling” means to fasten one's self to, adhere to, cling to…(My illustration of that child’s neck, death grip.) Jesus didn’t want Mary to cling to or glue herself to His earthly body because He had not ascended yet AND I believe she couldn’t stay glued to Jesus and accomplish her mission at the same time—Go to my brethren. Jesus gave her a job to do…Go tell the disciples I am alive. I am risen.
I like the definition of the word “cleave” it means "to join fast together, to glue, cement," is primarily said of metals and other materials (from kolla, "glue"). We know the Bible says a man shall leave his father and mother and “cleave” to his wife (Gen 2:24)
I believe Jesus wants us to cling or cleave or be glued to Him. He loves us. If we cling to Him, when we are going through a difficulty, the burden will be relieved because He was holding us to begin with. Regardless of the circumstance, I want to be clinging to Jesus and only be released when He gives me an assignment. Even then, my hand is in His and I have peace. (Isaiah 41:13). Bottom line, it’s OK to be a clingy child to your heavenly Father. He wants you glued to His side because that is a Father’s heart.

1 comment:

  1. Great exhortation my friend!!! How I neglect to truly cling to Jesus at all times in all things! Great reminder!!

    PS...LOVE the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog