Friday, April 16, 2010

The Martha Syndrome

Many of us know the scene…There’s Mary sitting lovingly and attentively at Jesus feet…listening to His words. Spending time with Jesus and enjoying Him. Then there’s Martha…She’s hustling about getting dinner ready and she’s annoyed. She wants Mary to stop being so lazy and help her! Jesus rebukes Martha because Mary chose the better part. (Luke 10:38-42)
A few years ago a friend of mine gave me the book, “Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World” by Joanna Weaver. I started reading it and got too busy to finish it! (I’m such a Martha)
One note from the beginning of the book says this, “Part of me is Mary. I want to worship extravagantly. I want to sit at His feet. But part of me is Martha- and there’s just so much to do!” (Page 7 author cited above)
Well the other day Chuck and I were discussing those areas where God is working on our character and I confessed to him that I am a Martha. You are a Martha he agreed. Ouch! (being married is a great way to be accountable in the Christian walk…but I’ll save that for another blog)
I try to do too much. But that is not what I felt God speaking to my heart. I already knew that about myself and I ask God to help me with that. What was so cool was after this great conversation Chuck prayed for me. He prayed for us to abide in God’s will and asked Jesus to help me not be a Martha or a Mary. Chuck prayed, “Help her just be Laura, who you created her to be.”
Wait! My heart panicked! That’s the wrong prayer! Chuck was supposed to pray and ask God to make me a Mary! Mary is the one who chose the “better part.” After the prayer, I thought about it long and hard. I let it soak in.
My husband, my sweetheart was right. God doesn’t want me to be exactly like Martha (a busy-body) and God doesn’t want me to be exactly like Mary (a sweet woman who I do admire). He wants me to be Laura. God wants me to recognize and discern when to be actively doing those things He has called me to do and ALSO recognize when I need to be still and just enjoy Him (whether that be praying, reading, worshipping or all of these). Psalm 46:10 I need to learn when to be still. See, it’s hard for me to be still…but that’s why I love the title of the book, “Having a Mary heart in a Martha world.”
I need to have Mary’s heart…but I don’t need to BE Mary. God made me Laura and as long as I am in tune with Him, I’m feelin’ pretty blessed…

1 comment:

  1. From one Martha to another...AMEN! What a great prayer Chuck prayed!! So true...Oh Lord help us to be who You created and intended us to be...for Your glory & fame...AMEN!!!!

    Pray for me, I'll pray for you!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog