Saturday, April 10, 2010

I survived the toddler years...and all I got is this t-shirt!

Chuck and I enjoy watching Man v. Food where Adam Richmond does all of these crazy food-eating challenges. At the end of the challenge, if he wins, he gets a t-shirt.

I am going to make an “I survived the toddler years” t-shirt for all moms who survive through the terrible 2’s, toddler years and so on...
Of course I am joking about the t-shirt...but I do feel the real “challenge” of my patience being tested through the toddler years!

Here are some examples of what I am talking about: my toddlers have bitten me, pinched me, pulled my hair, head-butted me and caused a nose bleed (no I am not kidding….it really hurt!), caused a scene at the grocery store, stepped on my toes, kicked me in the eye, caused an emotional breakdown to tears, etc.

Herein lies the problem…ME!

I have realized toddlers need a lot of attention and they are trying to form their identity by exploring their world around them. It’s a delicate balance of letting them try things on their own, while not letting them be the boss (Ha! Who is really in charge?) Seriously, toddlers try our patience and we must (I need to constantly) be on our knees asking God for patience… Why? Because the Bible tells me patience is part of the Christian’s character and must be built up.
But let patience have [its] perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. James 1:4 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering… Galatians 5:22 Note-The New Living Translation and the NIV define longsuffering as patience.
And what is love again? Love is PATIENT, love is kind… (1 Corinthians 13:4 NIV) (emphasis mine)
OK Jesus…I’ll be in prayer daily for patience…because before I know it my toddlers will be in junior high and high school and then, well…I’ll still be praying for patience…but at least by then my children will be potty trained!

2 comments:

  1. OH NO!!! Mary hits 2 in a couple of weeks and I'm already starting to see a couple of these traits :( Oh sweet Jesus help me!!

    Love you...great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you BLOGGED?!?!!? Sneaky little girl, you!

    I LOVE it.

    B

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog