Thursday, April 15, 2010

Being a Mom is Humbling!

I love being a mom! It's awesome. I remember when Olivia was first born I would look at her and then look at myself (in the mirror) while holding her and think, "Wow! I'm a mom." My pregnancy was wonderful, delivery short (4 hours) and she was and is a great little girl...Then came Isaac. Even shorter delivery (2 hours) and excited to see what siblings would be like in my home...Wow! He is a handful to say the least...
The other day Chuck was having his own private devotion. I love how my hubby asks my opinion when he's studying God's word. It's so cool. I'm doing the dishes, or cleaning or something and he calls out, "Babe, what do you think it means to be 'humble'?"
Of course, my first thought is --Jesus was humble. Jesus washed feet. Jesus died on the cross. Jesus let go of His crown of gold for a crown of thorns. Jesus was the "master-servant-teacher" and He was indeed humble. But I know that Chuck knows all that...
Hmmm...Humble. Well, I said, I think humility is the opposite of pride. To be humble is to not think you are better than something. (I gave him this personal example.) The other day (I'll warn you this is kinda gross) Isaac took off his diaper and let's just say what was inside the diaper fell out and was partly on the wall, on the floor, etc. Eeew!
I had to give him a bath, clean up the mess, wash the sheets, wash the wall...It was nasty! It was probably the worst mess because of the poo. But God reminded me that as a mom, that's my job. To clean up messes! To care for my kids. To die daily to myself. Did I think I was too good for this clean up job? Was I above cleaning this type of mess? At the time, I had a lot of pride and I was annoyed and frustrated....but I told Chuck later cleaning this mess was humbling. That's what it means to me to be humble. To never feel above a task that God gives you to do. Being a mom is humbling. I am a nobody! If my job as a mom for the day was to clean up this mess, then so be it! And boy did my pride fall off that day! To be humble is to clean up the nastiest mess, and to do it with the joy of the LORD. If Jesus washed stinky feet, we must do the same.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Eph 4:2 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you.1 Peter 5:6-7

1 comment:

  1. I can totally hear your voice in my head saying to Chuck, "it was so nasty". Haha! Great illustration. Amen my "pro" momma friend!
    I love you more than chocolate fountains!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog