Friday, January 25, 2013

Spirit filled Speech vs Fleshy speech

There is no doubt that words are powerful. Words can cut and words can build up. We must be very cautious with the words we speak.  Matthew 16 verses 16-17 Jesus asks his disciples who do you say I am. The only one that answers is Peter. We see Peter many times in the Gospels putting his foot in his mouth. But not here. Peter answers you are the Messiah the Son of the living God. Jesus replied you are blessed Simon son of John because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. you did not learn this from any human being. I like that. I like the way the New Living Translation says no human being revealed this to you. The Father in Heaven revealed it to Peter and the Father in Heaven gave Peter the boldness to open up his mouth and speak truth. Just a few verses down in Matthew 16 verse 22 Peter responds to Jesus (after Jesus says he would be killed.) Peter says in Matt 16: 22   ....Peter took Jesus aside and corrected him ...heaven forbid Lord he said this will never happen to you. Matthew 16:23 -Jesus turns to Peter and says get away from me Satan you are a dangerous trap to me. you are seeing things from a human point of view and not from God's. Ouch!!!! That must have hurt Peter. We see Peter corrected by Jesus in the scriptures. However this is the only time where Jesus tells Peter get behind me Satan. Why?? I have often wondered how Peter can go from describing perfectly the dirty of Jesus to later being rebuked by Jesus. We too can have this problem. I have often wondered why I can leave a church service feeling so filled with the spirit feeling on fire for God feeling blessed and encouraged. Sometimes I haven't even reached home yet and in the car I have bad news over the phone, kids acting up, an argument with my husband,  traffic, you name it. We can go from 0 to 60 to getting in the flesh quicker than anything. Why? When Peter says you are the Messiah the Son of the living God Jesus cimmends Peter vecause he is speaking in the spirit. His words are revealed from the Father's heart. Peter is speaking truth. When Peter takes Jesus aside and says heaven forbid.   this will never happen to you (Jesus' death) Peter is speaking in the flesh. Peter does not want Jesus to be killed. But Peter does not understand the Father's plan. We do the same thing ...we must be very careful with our words. When calling a brother or sister in the Lord to pray with them or encourage them we must always pray first asking God to give us the right words. The right words are His words. There have been times I wanted to share a word of encouragement with a sister in Christ. I became nervous and fearful that I will stumble over my words. God reminded me in my heart that if I give a friend His word and ask the spirit to fill me with His word there's nothing to be fearful of. God wants to use us just like he used Peter. However we must make sure are speech is Spirit filled and not flesh filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog