Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Obey Obey Obey and Be Blessed!

I think Genesis chapter 22 is one of my favorite chapters in the whole Bible. I love the picture of Abraham's obedience to what the Lord asked him to do. Abraham was waiting and waiting... Finally (in God's perfect timing) Abraham was given a beautiful son named Isaac. This is the only time in the Bible where a human father is asked to sacrifice his son (of course God stops him...but the request was made). It is a beautiful picture of our Heavenly Father's willingness to sacrifice his Son Jesus for our salvation. From a personal viewpoint, my Isaac is a 5 year old boy....a son of joy! He is the only grandson on my side of the family. My sister has 4 daughters and my brother has 2 daughters...we are family that waited and waited for a boy to be in the family. It was so funny to continue to celebrate every single babyshower with pink. Finally in 2007 I became pregnant with a boy. I truly believe God led us to name him Isaac as I must daily put him on the altar. I must daily submit my will my dreams my home my son and surrender all on the altar to my Heavenly Father. In Genesis 22 verse 16 reads (NLT), "Then the angel the Lord called again to Abraham from heaven This is what the LORD says: Because you have obeyed me and have not withheld even your son, your only son, I swear by my own name that that I will bless you richly I will multiply your descendants beyond number like the stars in the sky and the sound on the seashore. They will conquer the cities of their enemies and through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed all because you have obeyed me." There is no doubt God does ask us to sacrifice our children our marriages our finances our  pleasures and treasures at the foot of the Cross. Matthew chapter 7 vere 21 (paraphrase) Jesus said not all people who sound religious are really godly .....they may call me Lord but they still won't enter the kingdom of heaven the decisive issue is whether they OBEY my father in heaven. And Matthew 7 verse 24 Jesus says, " Anyone who listens to my teaching and obeys me is like a person who built a house on solid rock." Abraham's faith was tested. In our lives our faith is tested. Thankfully we will never be asked to sacrifice our children in the manner that Abraham was asked. Please do not be mistaken. God does ask us to sacrifice!  He asks us to sacrifice our entire being to God. God blesses obedience. When we obey we recieve the blessing of intimacy with Jesus. Abraham was called the friend of God. Abraham talk with God and he walked with God. He had faith to believe that God would raise his son Isaac from the dead. In Genesis 22 verse 5 the Word reads, "stay here with the donkey" Abraham told the young men the boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there and then we will come right back." I love how Abraham believed. Even though his heart must have been full of confusion and pain in simple obedience he did exactly as God the Father asked him to do. We must do the same. Psalm 9 verse 1&2 says "I will thank you Lord with all my heart I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done I will be filled with joy because of you I will sing praises to your name Oh Most High" Abraham's life tells of all the marvelous things that God has done. Does yours? Let's be vocal and publish our thanks to God! Tell others, and tell God. Express your thankfulness for the marvelous things He has done. That God would take a simple man Abraham ask him to leave his land and go to an unknown land wait for nearly 100 years to have his first son and then later ask for that son that very same son of promise to be sacrificed....it was time for Abraham's life to be tested and he passes.  Abraham's life of obedience is beautiful and God honoring. I want that life of obdience LORD! Holy Spirit make me a woman that lives moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day in obeience to the Father's direction and leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog