Saturday, January 19, 2013

Joseph's Life and David's Prayer

Genesis 39 verse 2 the Lord was with Joseph and blessed him greatly as he served in the home of the Egyptian master. Potiphar noticed this and realized that the Lord was with Joseph giving him success in everything he did. Genesis 39:21 but the Lord was with Joseph there too and he granted Joseph favor with the chief jailer.Genesis 40 verse 8 "interpreting dreams is God's business" Joseph replied "tell me what you saw." Genesis 41:1....2 years later Pharaoh dreamed that he was standing on the bank of the Nile River.....Genesis 41 verse 16 "it is beyond my power to do this" Joseph replied "but God will tell you what it means and will set you at ease." I love reading about the life of Joseph. His life begins as the youngest of many brothers in the home with Jacob. Jacob gives Joseph a coat of many colors or many pockets which meant he held a special place in Jacob's heart. Joseph's life begins with a close relationship with his father. However jealousy caused his brothers to sell him into Egyptian slavery. Joseph nearly died.  .but God had another plan for him. I love how every where Joseph goes he turns to God for strength. One of my favorite things to do in reading God's word is to look at the prayer life of the person we are reading about. Joseph's prayers are not recorded however when Joseph opens his mouth, he always gives the credit to God. Up until Genesis 41 Joseph may have hated the fact that he was given a gift to interpret dreams. These dreams have only gotten Joseph into trouble. Even when he interpreted the cupbearer's and baker's dreams he still had to wait 2 years before coming before Pharaoh. But Joseph waited patiently on the Lord. Isaiah said those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. Waiting is hard. No one likes to wait but when we're waiting on the King of the universe we can have renewed strength. I believe we see this in the life of Joseph. Joseph stayed close to God even in his darkest times even in the times when he doesn't understand what God is doing. Joseph was innocent yet he continued to trust God even in verse 16 of chapter 41 we see Joseph saying it is beyond my power to interpret this dream of yours Pharoah but God will tell you what it means. Joseph knows that he's just an instrument a conduit in the hands of God he doesn't give himself credit for interpreting dreams he gives God the credit and the glory and I believe that is why Joseph shines so brightly as a man that stays on the path with the Lord. in Psalm 17 in today's One year Bible reading it is the prayer of David. I find it beautiful how similar David's pleas are to Joseph's. Psalm 17--- Oh lord hear my plea for justice listen to my cry for help pay attention to my prayer for it comes from an honest heart. Declare me innocent for you know those who do right. You have tested my thoughts and examine my heart in the night you have scrutinized me and found nothing amiss for I am determined not to sin in what I say. I have followed your commands which have kept me from going along with cruel and evil people. My steps have stayed on your path I have not wavered from following you. I am praying to you because I know you will answer oh God bend down and listen as I pray show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. And then versus 8 says Guard me as the apple of your eye hide me in the shadow of your wings. Simply beautiful....David and Joseph were both wrongfully accused yet they determined not to sin. David says I determine not to sin in what I say. Joseph is determined not to sin in what he does. Joseph was alone in the house with Potiphar's wife. I feel this is one of the most powerful pictures of fleeing from sin in the whole Bible. Joseph knows that even if no one sees ......God sees. Joseph says how could I ever do such a wicked thing it would be a great sin against God. Genesis 39. Even though Joseph has been through many trials and terrible circumstances he knows God continues to guard him as the apple of his eye. Joseph was daily prepositioned by this woman ....verse 10 of chapter 39 says she kept putting pressure on him day after day but he kept out of her way as much as possible. Joseph didn't just tell Potiphar's wife I don't want to sin against my master Potiphar, he says he will not sin against God we must take that same attitude. Jesus said if your left eye causes you to sin cut it out it's better to go into heaven with one eye than to sin against the Father. Oh how we need to remember God's presence with us everywhere even in the midst of our temptations our trials and our sufferings. I think when we encounter trials we tend to I feel like God is distance from us. A very beautiful friend of mine told me that she had lost a child and felt as if that was her ration of trials. she never expected to go through any trials after that. But she did. Joseph being sold by the others to slavery must have been humiliating and completely broke Joseph's heart. Yet he went through additional trials after that. My husband just said recently autism is not a trial it is a journey. Some trials do end.... if a man loses his job and has a season of financial troubles that trial ends when he gets a new job and becomes financially stable. But there are some trials that seem to go on and on and on. That is the life and a portrait we see from Joseph. His trial seems to go on and on and on and on. But he determined not to sin against God we must be careful to guard our hearts and are minds during difficult seasons. We must hold fast to the truth of God's word that he is holding us as the apple of his eye that He loves us with an everlasting love and that the answers to our prayers are on their way. We must hold fast to the truth that we can do nothing apart from Him but in him we can do all things. God is faithful and will never allow us to be tempted beyond what we can endure. The pressures of life are hard but Christ overcame the world and when we pray the Holy Spirit will empower us to give us eyes to see as God sees. Hold on to him and determine in your heart not to sin in what you say or do. We can be like Joseph, others will look and say, "The Lord is with her"

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog