Monday, January 7, 2013

Don't do it yourself.....Ask God first

Genesis chapter 16 verses 1 and 2 says but Sarai Abram's wife had no children. So Sarai took her servant an Egyption woman named Hagar and gave her to Abram so she could bear his children. Stop there. Sarai had no children so she figured out a way to solve the problem. She wanted children but now she was up in age and she had forgotten that God was the God of impossible. I hate it how we women try to fix things without consulting God first. I do this myself as well so this encouragement is for me first. Sarai wanted children she waited almost 100 years with no results so she took matters into our own hands. She was a problem solver and a leader....but she tried to do it herself before consulting God first. What problems she created not only for herself but for her husband and for many future generations. Why didn't she pray first why didn't she talk to her husband about it why didn't she wait on the Lord?? I believe Sarai was confused I believe she believed God's promises that Abraham was going to be blessed and his generation after him would be blessed but she didn't see how that could happen without children so she came up with a solution. She gave Hagar to Abram. Go sleep with Hagar Abram and those children will be the conduit of God's blessings. Today in the 1 year Bible Proverbs 2 verses 1-5 says --My Children listen to me and treasure my instructions. Tune your ears to wisdom and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and understanding. Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord and you will gain knowledge of God. I am blown away by this contrast with Sarai's behavior. The person of understanding the person in tune with God concentrates on Him. She listens to God not herself. She has ears to hear the Spirit's wisdom. She waits on the Lord in prayer she knows that God's promise to her is to give her a future and a hope. A woman of wisdom is not quick to solve the problem but rather wait for the Lord to solve the problem in His timing in His perfect way. A woman of wisdom trusts in the Lord with all her heart and leans not on her own understanding. Sarai trusted in her  own understanding and it got her in trouble. Sarai trusted in herself and her own wit and creative mind to solve the problem. I was speaking with my sister the other day and we were talking about how some women date men with lots of problems... these women like "projects" they like to fix things and they feel it is their job to fix this man with a ton of problems. That is not what God designed us to do. God designed us to seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be added on to you. Sarai wanted children. God saw that desire in her she just needed to wait and not enlist Hagar to be the surrogate mother. What area of your life are you enlisting another to be a surrogate mother? Are you trying to fix the problem instead of asking God to fix the problem? Perhaps God is testing you. Don't be like Sarai. Wait on the Lord sometimes the greatest wisdom comes from doing no physical action but do wait on God be in prayer and reading the Word. We live in a fast paced world and we do not like this 4 letter word wait. We want things our way now. But God says through His Word in the Proverbs that we are to seek out wisdom and we are to concentrate on understanding we are to cry out for insight and understanding... we are to search for wisdom as we would for lost money or forhidden treasure. I have lost my keys many times. When I look for them I don't walk around slowly looking here or there I search with all of my mind my intellect trying to retrace my steps trying to remember where did I leave my keys... when you're searching for something that's important you do it with all of your heart. Instead of trying to fix the problem may we learn to be people that search for God he is the 1 we are searching for... the solution to or problem is just a byproduct of our life pursuit to seek God out and seek His will. The other night as I was praying for Isaac it dawned on me all I have to do is to tap into God's will... If I pray according to God's will for Isaac Isaac is going to be fine.... God gave me such a peace in knowing that as I pray for Isaac asking for God's will to be done God hears and will honor those prayers. May the Lord make us people that instead of trying to be Mr. Fix It or Ms. Fix It, we learn to become God's princesses (Sarah means princess) women that are like Israel (not wrestlers like Jacob) governed by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog