Saturday, May 15, 2010

Planting Jalapeño Seeds of Faith

I have never been one to like spicy salsa or chile. I prefer “medium” salsa. It has flavor but doesn’t require a tissue to wipe your tears or nose every five seconds from the fire!

I enjoy making fresh salsa for parties and gatherings. Yesterday I was making salsa. As usual, I took out the seeds from the yellow chiles. You see, most of us know the seeds contain the heat. The seeds of the chile contain the fire, the spice, the “kick” of the spicy flavor.

I threw away the seeds..I do this carefully because even touching the seeds is powerful and can burn your fingers.

The LORD reminded me of all the pictures in the Word of “seeds.”
He describes heaven as a seed that is planted and then grows into a tree where birds take refuge. This is what heaven is like. It starts small but grows into a mighty tree. (Mat 13:31-32)

Then there is the example of a mustard seed. Jesus wants us to have the faith of a mustard seed and then we can tell a mountain to be moved and it will be so. (Matt 17:20)

God reminded me as I threw away those tiny jalapeño seeds, that seeds have power.

For me personally, I do not believe I have the gift of evangelism. I will share my faith if the Holy Spirit prompts me…but I am by no means a large scale evangelist like Billy Graham, Greg Laurie, Raul Ries...etc.
I do not feel I am gifted in sharing my testimony or in sharing the Gospel. I will share whenever I can…but it’s not my gift.

What I do love to do is plant seeds.

I like to tell people that are hurting that I will pray for them. I like lifting these people up in prayer. I like to write notes to people who are sick or down. I like to share scripture with other Christians and even disciple a younger sister in Jesus if the LORD directs.

That’s me. I like to plant seeds…but that’s all I do...plant seeds. It’s not as cool as leading another co-worker, friend or family member to the cross. It’s not even a ministry. You don’t hear the church announcements say, “We need more people to plant seeds of the Gospel through prayer and encouragement to families in Mexico.” No, usually, they need people to physically go to Mexico to build houses, take food, etc.

Planting seeds is no big deal right? WRONG.

God reminded me how powerful jalapeño and chile seeds are. They are strong! They have fragrance. They cause eyes to water and mouths to catch on fire! Other seeds like mustard seeds, apple seeds and other plant seeds when planted under the right circumstances - soil (a picture in the Bible of person who has a willing heart to receive from God, Matt 13:8) light (Sun light is a picture of the Son’s light-Jesus, John 8:12,) and lots of water (a picture of the Word of God, Eph 5:26) will flourish and grow and bear much fruit.

So if you are one who likes to plant seeds, go on with yourself! Don’t lose heart and say, “I just plant seeds.” Keep it up. Keep planting seeds of faith with your unsaved family, friends, co-workers or even to strangers. Continue planting those “jalapeño” seeds of faith in others! They are more powerful than you think…

1 comment:

  1. Because of the many seeds that you planted in my life so many years ago, I am strongly committed to walking with Jesus. Thank you for the seeds you faithfully planted and for the constant and continual prayers! I LOVE YOU my faithful friend!

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog