Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blessed are the Uncomfortable

Blessed are the uncomfortable for they are in the will of God...

No, this is not one of the Beattitudes...but I believe it is true for us today...

I heard a clip from the "Balanced Word" yesterday on KWVE regarding feeling "uncomfortable" about some things in God's Word. The pastor said that the Word of God is supposed to make us uncomfortable. I loved this statement. It's so true. When I read God's Word and I allow it to soak in, when I allow it to convict me, when I allow it to change me, when I allow it to penetrate...I've noticed I feel discomfort- I feel uncomfortable.

For example-Jesus tells me to turn the other cheek. Jesus tells me to love my enemies and to pray for those who persecute me. Jesus tells me to die to myself. Paul tells me to worry about nothing and pray about everything. Paul tells me his chains were used for good and God uses all things together for good. Even failures? Yup. Even trials? Yes. Even evil acts or sin in the world? Yes. Paul tells us to give thanks for our trials and to count them all as joy. This is so contrary to human nature.

But this is what I love about God's Word... I love that it goes against my natural tendencies. That is the point. God's spirit is trying to change me. Change is good, but it is not comfortable and it is certainly not easy.

See, we live in a society that is all about making you "comfortable." On an air plane the staff will give you an extra pillow to make you more "comfortable." You move seats in a movie theater to find one that is comfortable. We eat "comfort" foods. We lay down in our bed on a cold night and pull up our goose-down "comforter." When my 4 year old daughter is ready to relax, I tell her let's put on her "comfies." It is ingrained in our brains that good = comfort. But this is not true with God's Word.

It's OK to feel uncomfortable with serving in a ministry where you feel inadequate. It's OK to feel uncomfortable with sharing the Gospel with that co-worker, neighbor, or stranger. It's OK to feel uncomfortable to tell your relatives that you don't drink alcohol because you want to be filled with the Spirit in stead of drunk with wine. It's OK to be the first to say sorry to someone even though your flesh is telling you he/she should appologize first. It's OK to feel uncomfortable when you are fasting and praying on your knees for someone and your stomach starts to growl.

It's OK because I believe God blesses those who allow their flesh to feel uncomfortable, so that the spirit may have the victory. Blessed are the uncomfortable for they know they are in the will of God.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Laura,

    I wanted to share about an old post from almost a year ago. What you shared reminded me of my eight and a half year trial.

    Here is the link if you have time.

    http://shalom-ahava.blogspot.com/2009/08/all-moved-in-or-rather-all-moved-out.html

    P.S. I am blessed each time I read your blog.

    Love,
    Nettie AKA Jannette

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog