Monday, July 12, 2010

The Wealthy Woman at Shunem

2 Kings 4 shows a picture of a woman I want to be like. She is not as well known as other women in the Bible like Sarah, Noah's wife, the Proverbs 31 woman, Esther, Ruth, Mary, and others.

She goes under the radar. But I want to tell you about her, a woman in the BIble that I am learning about...the Bible does not record her name, she is only called "the wealthy woman" and we know she lived in a town called Shunem.

I used to be very curious why certain people weren't named in the Bible. Some chapters go on and on listing names of people while other places in the Bible, we read about people who are amazing and he/she goes unnamed. I am learning that sometimes it's good to not be known by name...

For example, in the children's ministry I am known by some as "Olivia's mom" or "Isaac's mom." When Chuck and I served in children's ministry at C.C. Golden Springs there were many, many parents that I knew as "Vincent's mom" "Hannah's mom" etc. I tried to learn names, but it is impossible to learn every one's. I am sure these people, like I am, were content in having their identification as the parent of a child. More importantly, God knows our name, and that's really all that matters.

Back to 2 Kings 4- This woman is AWESOME. She clearly loves the LORD and served Him. Elisha the prophet visited her town, the town of Shunem. She invited him to eat with her and every time he came to visit she showed him great hospitality. Wiersbe's commentary stated that showing hospitality to ministers is a dying art or dying ministry. How sad! It's probably due to the busy and hectic lives we have. We are so busy working within the confines of our bubbles (our lives) that we neglect to host and show kindness to those who are ministering and serving the LORD.

Well the wealthy woman didn't just show kindness by opening up her home and cooking for Elisha. She went above and beyond. She suggests to her husband the idea of building Elisha his own room where he could stay comfortably while he is visiting the town of Shunem.

This really blessed me.

She was wealthy. She had the means. She could have used her wealth for lots of things. She could buy more gladiator sandals (I believe that's what they wore...tongue in cheek), more clothes, more perfume, more food, more decorations for her home...

Instead of buying more "things" she uses her wealth to show even more hospitality to Elisha the man of God. What a wise woman! Now I truly believe the woman did not have an ulterior motive in doing this. I believe she was a woman after God's own heart and felt this home addition would be a blessing to Elisha and a blessing to the LORD.

Later, Elisha is so appreciative of her kindness he wants to do something in return for her. She refuses. She didn't want Elisha to talk about her to the king. She didn't want any type of self promotion or accolade. She was content in the LORD. This to me, was the greatest blessing of reading about her in 2 Kings 4. I believe the wealthy woman felt like she had it all. She loved God, she had a blessed marriage and she was wealthy. She always wanted children, but she was content with that too. Although she was barren, God had blessed her life in so many other ways she learned to be content serving the LORD in her daily life and at every opportunity. Her sufficiency was in God. Yet, Elisha was adamant about repaying her kindness.

Elisha's servant Gehazi suggesed, "She doesn't have a son, and her husband is an old man" 2 Kings 4:14. Elisha tells her, "Next year at about this time you will be holding a son in your arms!" (verse 16)

The woman replies, "Please don't lie to me like that, O Man of God."

I like this too.

I felt like she said in modern language, "Shut up! Stop playing around! Stop lying!" She was real! She was a totally down to earth--a kind, genuine, humble person.

Next year she held her baby boy in her arms...just as Elisha had said.

This story moved me to tears because this is the heart of our God, our Abba Father. When we pray with all our hearts--Father, you are all I need. You know I have this desire, but if this is not your will for me, that's OK. I want your will God and not my own. I would love this desire to be met, but if it doesn't happen, I trust you. I trust your will for my life. I trust your plan for my life. I trust your hand in my life and I ask you to make my desires in alignment with yours." He hears us and responds.

This is not an easy prayer. This is actually more than a prayer, this is living a life like Jesus did- aiming to always please the Father saying, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done."

See, the woman didn't build Elisha an extra room with the intention of getting something in return. She just lived her daily life serving God. She loved God and desired to be hospitable to His servants. She had the means and the ability so she did it. God saw her heart and was blessed by her. Not only was He blessed by her, He gave her one of the lifelong desires of her heart- to have a child. What an awesome, loving, gracious and sweet God we have!!! I love it that if we delight ourselves in the LORD He will give us the desires of our heart (Psalm 37:4). It might not be tomorrow, it might not be today...but one day. We will look at our life...we will see that during those times when we are delighting ourselves in Him, He gives us the desires of our heart. It doesn't mean He always answers our prayers in the way we hoped, many women go their whole lives without having a baby naturally, but He will always fulfill us when our desire is simply to know Him more and to be used by Him.

I have a friend who was never able to conceive a child. After many years of waiting and praying, her and her spouse adopted. One day her spouse said to me, although I would still be blessed if my wife and I had our own child, I am glad we were unable to...because we would have never adopted and we would never have this amazing son we have in our lives today...He was able to see God's hand in the situation as they delighted in the LORD through it all.

Friends, be content in doing God's will today, trusting He knows what's best for you. May our desire be for NOT for things, relationships or situations but May HE ALONE be our hearts desire.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed a word of encouragement, especially since I’ve been wrestling with some issues in relation to serving at church.

    But as I was reading through what you wrote, I couldn't help but think of a brilliant book that my husband just read. It's called, "Safely Home", By: Randy Alcorn. Captivated by the perspective of a Chinese missionary, and what it means to give up all for Jesus, Gabe (my husband), could hardly put the book down. I finally asked him last night about what he read. I was amazed at how much we take for granted,mainly our Holy Bibles. I never learned about the church of China in that light, in spite of reading harsh articles about what a Christian goes through, daily in a communist country.But I don't consider an article any less importat. I guess the book was thorough in helping the American Church try to understand what it really means to live for Christ.

    Again, thanks for sharing your devotions,I am truly sharpened. And I hope sharing about the book was ok. If you have time to read an inspiring novel in the future I guess that would be a good Christian pick.

    Love & Blessings,
    Jannette

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog