Monday, July 26, 2010

Put your glasses on for 20/20 vision

There is a song by Keith Green that I love. He says, “When you rolled away the clouds that hung like curtains on my eyes…I’ve been blind…all these wasted years and I thought I was so wise…and then you took me by surprise. Like waking up, from the longest dream, how real it seemed, until your love broke through. I was lost in a fantasy that blinded me until your love broke through”
(full song lyrics to “Your Love Broke Through” at http://www.lyricsbay.com/your_love_broke_through_lyrics-keith_green.html)

I was thinking about this the other day…

The idea of being blind and NOT realizing it.

When I was in college I used to sit in the front row because the professor wrote a bit too small and there was a glare on the dry erase board. My friend one day said, “Let’s sit in the back for this class.” I told her no because I couldn’t see due to the glare on the dry erase board. She said, “Oh friend! You need glasses.” I didn’t even realize it. After realizing it was also hard to read the street signs at night, I decided to go to the eye doctor. Sure enough I needed glasses!

All my life I had 20/20 vision but now, my vision needed correction.

I put on my glasses and I saw so many details I was missing out on. I would look at trees and there seemed to be millions of leaves. Mountains had more details and definition. The sky seemed more blue and crisp. Everything was clear and more visually stunning. I saw the world in a whole new way.

Unfortunately my vision got worse over the years and needed further correcting but this is what I realized the other day. How would you answer this question, “Are you wearing your Jesus glasses?”

This is what I mean…

Chuck and I recently celebrated 11 years of being married. I look at him and I am still so attracted to him. He is still handsome to me. He is still my friend and we laugh together and act goofy together. He is a great man who loves God and loves me and loves our family. Now of course we have disagreements and no marriage is perfect, but I love to see Chuck through God’s eyes. (This is only realized through prayer, the filling and refilling of the Holy Spirit and meditation on God's Word)

In God’s eyes, Chuck is perfect. He is washed in the blood of Jesus. That’s how I want my husband to see me too. I want him to see me as God sees me. From God’s perspective, I am his daughter, precious and worth dying for. Even with all my faults and failures, God loves me with unconditional agape love.

I started thinking that my life is beyond blessed. I have so much to be thankful for.

Think about it for a second. We see our children (at least we try to) through God’s eyes. We look at our kids and we forgive them when they do wrong and test our patience. We love them even when they fail us or hurt our feelings. Our children are precious. To a mother, a child is the most beautiful creation. I think the parent/child relationship helps us understand God’s agape love. A mother nurses her baby not expecting something in return down the road in life. A mother lays down her life for her child. But think about this….Who looks at his/her spouse like that?

There is a 50% divorce rate in America. Half of all couples end their marriage. It is heart wrenching.

But what parent divorces a child?

Not one. (well…there has been a situation where a child divorced her parents but it’s extremely rare).

God looks at us with agape love.

God sees us and loves us just as a Father loves his child. We need to look at our spouses this way. We need to look at our in laws this way. We need to look at that annoying neighbor or co-worker that way. We need to see the world this way…with Jesus glasses on.

Convicted? I know I am!

Friends, remember, life is sweeter with Jesus. It is crisp, clear and so thrilling and fulfilling!

If you have seen the movie Avatar there is a scene where the human is in the Avatar body for the first time. It’s a whole new world. He takes a bite of a fruit in a new land. This fruit is the juiciest, most amazing fruit he has ever tasted. Again, this reminded me of our life with Jesus. Our food tastes better, songs have more meaning, sleep is more peaceful, our life is sweeter in every way because of Him. I was reminded of this recently, but I want to live with this awareness of how sweet my life is because of my sweet savior every day. I want to walk daily with my Jesus glasses on.

4 comments:

  1. Laura.........this is wonderful. Another reminder to keep our eyes on Jesus. To keep focused on Him.
    Thank you for sharing this. Was very uplifting. You know, I came forward to an alter call back in 1981 with Keith Green. A moment I will never forget......and to think one day I can say thank you to him for his songs and calling on me that day. I know it was all in God's plan, but to have such a great man as Keith there, made it so special.
    Blessings to you,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, your comment blessed me so much. I love Keith Green and his life and music ministers to me over and over and over again. That's AMAZING that you got to hear him sing and play songs in the 80s. How wonderful God used his music through the Spirit to lead you to the cross! Wow. I too want to thank Him in heaven for all He has done to draw me to the Father :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I found your blog through FB...Girl, I am SO blessed by your insights! Praise God! I'll be following!!

    love: michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-hoo! Michelle, So glad you were blessed and great to hear from you. Jeanette was the one that pretty much strong armed me to start blogging...I have so much to share and the little box on face book wasn't cutting it (LOL) Your family is so beautiful and it's great to see you here :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog