Sunday, June 27, 2010

Am I Legalistic? Jesus Help Me

Websters defines legalism as a "strict, literal, or excessive conformity to the law or to a religious or moral code."

I would define a legalistic person (in the context of Christianity in America) as someone who snubs another or looks down upon another for not conducting him/herself in a certain way. The legalist forces his/her interpretation of the Bible and personal convictions on others.

Here I go again...sharing my heart and I am sure I will mess up...but I am trying to be real and raw with you, with myself, and of course with our LORD.

This issue has been VERY heavy on my heart lately. Today, as the Holy Spirit always times it perfectly, Pastor David spoke on the subject. The verses were from Colossians 2:16-23.

Colossians 2:16-17 states, "So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ."

I already know that I can be extreme and I wear my feelings on my sleeve. My husband teases me about it all the time. But I don't want to ever, ever, ever impose my convictions on others. I don't want to be judgmental. I don't want to be a Pharisee (you know, a white washed tomb) and I DON'T want to be legalistic.

Now there are some areas, of course, that are easy. Jesus is the way. Period. John 14:6. I don't need to debate the issue of the sufficiency of salvation based on the cross. That's easy.

Here's a little bit more difficult one. I don't personally like R-Rated movies. I am sure there are some Christians who abhor them. Don't even allow them in the house. Others might say, well it depends. Saving Private Ryan is Rated R, but it's a war movie so that's OK, etc.
I am not bothered by my friend's movie collection. If my friend loves Jesus and we have sweet fellowship together and he/she happens to be a movie buff and likes some R Rated movies, that doesn't bother me. If my friend or relative showed an R Rated movie to my 4 year old with out permission, not that would bother me because of the adult content.

Now here is the tough stuff. My personal convictions. There are some areas that REALLY bother me. This is where I can become legalistic and I am praying for God to work on my heart. You see, if you have a glass of wine with dinner as a beverage and you don't feel convicted why should it bother me? I don't drink and I refuse to drink, but your drinking one glass shouldn't bother me. But guess what? If you turn that glass of wine scenario into your drinking a few beers in front of me, now I am bothered. It bothers me because I have seen too many loved ones lose their lives to alcoholism--specifically to daily drinking beer. I have seen people walk away from God, walk away from their familes, walk away from their jobs, leaving their church/fellowship all because of alcohol, specifically beer. I remember driving in the car when my dad was drunk....So here's the thing. I am not going to tell you not to drink beer. I am not going to say one word. But I know my facial expression will say it all. Unfortunately at that moment, I am sure I look a lot like a Pharisee.

I attended a birthday party recently. The parents are Christians. The parents had a picture of John Lennon and Yoko Ono naked on the wall (it was an album cover) and later, my girlfriend appologized to me for the photo. "We are hippies" she said. But I thought it was strange that she appologized to me. Did I look bothered? Was I sweating? Did I look upset? No. I think she just thought Laura is probably offended by this picture because she is a Christian and has deep convictions. But guess what? Jesus wouldn't be bothered by the picture. He created the human body. He would be totally comfortable with it. The picture wasn't really bad. Yes, it made me squirm a little, but honestly, seeing people consume large amounts of alcohol would bother me more...but why does it? Why can't I abstain from drinking, and not be "annoyed" when other people around me are drinking? Yes I get sad because I think of my dad's death. I saw his last breath and he could have lived longer if he didn't drink...his liver was shot. But I can't use this excuse. I NEED to be sensitive to others and NOT impose my convictions on them. I don't want to be a Pharisee or legalistic.

Now I must clarify, I'm not talking about if a non-believer asks me my opinion about drinking...oh then it is on! I can discuss openly how I feel and more importantly, what the Bible says. However, I am not to walk around with a pious attitude around any one....There is freedom in Christ and when we are abiding in Him, His Word and the Holy Spirit will be our guide on what conduct we should abstain from or engage in.

In fact, Jesus was often found hanging around the tax collectors, the prostitutes and sinners. Now Jesus never engaged in any unrighteous or sinful activity. Jesus was able to look past the conduct and see the person. That's what I need to work on. Help me Jesus to be more like you. Help me Jesus to see people through your eyes.

I guess the main point I want to convey is this: BE CAREFUL CHRISTIAN. Be careful to not stay in the Christian bubble where your eyes bulge out if your unsaved friend or family member drinks alcohol, watches R Rated movies, smokes pot, listens to profane music, etc. God knows you don't like that stuff, just as He doesn't. We need to reach people with the love of Jesus not walk around pointing out specks you know?

Father, help us reach this next generation for you. We need to be filled with the Holy Spirit instead of trying to BE the Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

  1. My Laura...you and your heart are absolutely beautiful!! This is a wonderful post and I thank you so much for you authenticity and vulnerability! I will join you in this prayer to be filled with the Holy Spirit and not try to BE the Holy Spirit! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember driving with a friend past the Déjà Vu, and commenting about that wicked place. She had such a heart of compassion, and gently rebuked me saying, “We shouldn't have a heart of Jonah; instead we need to pray for people in those places, they might have children, or family that love them”. I still struggle with the difference between a spirit of criticalness, and simply not conforming to the world. I guess you said it in your prayer. Lord help us to see through your eyes. God’s wisdom must be applied in each situation, along with prayer, and a heart of humility.

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog