Sunday, June 20, 2010

More Than Gold

It seems that every time I am watching TV or walking around the mall or in some place or another I see an advertisement that says, "Cash for Gold."


In these tough times people are struggling financially. People need help and they need some relief. When all the bills are just not going to be paid it makes sense, "Turn in your gold for cash." It sounds simple enough. You have an old gold chain that was popular in the 80s or 90s and you rather have the cash to pay a bill than that old piece of jewelry anyway...


I thought of this as I was reading my Bible.

Psalm 119:27 says, "Truly, I love your commands more than gold, even the finest gold."
and
"Your law is more valuable to me than millions in gold and silver!" Psalm 119:72

We need to learn to love God's Word. When I first started really getting serious about God, I would bring my Bible to church with me...but I wasn't really reading it on my own. It wasn't until I truly saw the value of reading my Bible, line upon line, every chapter, every book, and also reading commentaries to help me understand, that I begin to see God's Word as more valuable than gold.

See we all need the bills paid. We all have different types of "gold." It might not be your gold jewelry that you trade in for cash. For most people, their gold is their work/labor. If you work 40 hours a week, put in your time, then you get paid. Cash for gold. It's the same principle as the jewelry trade, Cash 4 Gold concept.

These days...the most precious gold I believe is OUR TIME. Believe me, if you give your time to Jesus, you will get something MUCH MUCH MUCH better than gold... You will get wisdom, you will gain insights and direction about how to live a joyful abundant life, you will get so much from sitting at the feet of Jesus and soaking up His Word.

One year, at a women's retreat, a sweet gal told me she wanted to be like a "sponge" all weekend long. She had such joy in her eyes and she said, "I want to soak up all of God's Word and learn and listen and retain what He has for me."

I liked that!

As the weather is heating up and even when money is tight may we trade in our cash (or time) for gold...the gold of reading, studying and meditating on God's Word. Also, let's soak in the son, let's soak in Jesus.

Again, I think so many people are turning in their gold jewelry for cash because times are hard. God's Word has something to say about this too:

These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world. 1 Peter 1:7

Ah...I want faith that is far more precious to God than mere gold. It seems the world is always focusing on gold. The price of gold. Wearing gold jewelry. Wedding rings are made from fine gold. The richest people have a lot of gold. But in the end...in eternity, at our funerals, people won't say, "Wow. She was wealthy and had a lot of gold." No. People talk about CHARACTER. People talk about how the deceased person impacted others. That's gold to me and that's what I want.

I want to bring praise and glory and honor to Jesus and I KNOW this can ony be attained when I give my time to Jesus sitting at His feet, reading the Bible and learning from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog