Friday, August 14, 2015

Beware of the Pedestal

Pray for your Pastor

We all read those 4 words and say:
AMEN!

Our pastors are the men God has placed for such a time as this to be the leader and shepherd over the church. Each individual church with unique shepherds for a unique set of sheep.

We must pray for them. Paul asked for prayer "pray for me"
"Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel" Eph 6:19 (NIV) 

Prayer is something we must do ...

But something we shouldn't do is put pastors on a pedestal....

This reminds me of the lyrics of a Sherri Youngward song:

Pedestal
I held you so high on a pedestal
When you fell you had a long way to go
When you fell how was I to know
That I’d fall with you (Sherri Youngward)

A pedestal can be defined as a position in which someone is greatly or uncritically admired. Webster's gives this example:
"It's as if I'm on a pedestal and he worships me – I hate that"

Only God is to be Worshipped.
Of course!
We all know that. 10 Commandments 101 right?
“You shall have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:3

But why then do people put Pastors on Pedestals? (I've done it too! Admit it, we all have from one time or another)

One reason- we're Americans. 
We worship the CEO (Steve Jobs) the Athlete (Michael Jordan) the office (President of the USA)  
The musician(s) the Beatles, Madonna, Taylor Swift, Back in the day New Kids On the Block (oh no you didn't) the actor Brad Pitt, the Actress Angelina Jolie, etc etc. 
Even doctors are placed on pedestals! They are "the expert" .

Gods Spirit lives in ALL OF US. From the infant, the adult serving in the children's ministry, the usher, the greeter, the groundskeeper, the accountant, the people in the prayer room interceding for  you, the study and Pastor, the friend who just accepted Jesus 1 week ago, the married couple who have attended for 30 years, and everyone in between. The Pastor is a VERY important person in the body of Christ no doubt, but we can't take the TMZ Entertainment Tonight mentality to our Pastor. 
Oh Jesus help us! 
I have literally heard people say "did you know Pastor so and so got a new car?" 
Are you serious? 
Or people call to find out if the Senior Pastor is here on Sunday or out of town? 
Why is this even important? 
It's not. 
Pastors are leaders and we must pray for them encourage them and show them grace just like any other brother and sister in Christ...but we are not to place them on a pedestal like a Reality TV show star or athlete. 
God alone is to be worshipped. Not anything or any one else. 

One of my favorite Pastor Teachers is Jon Courson. When my husband  and I met him in person he was totally down to earth and "normal" and encouraging. 
Yes I took a photo with him (I had too!) because I felt like he was someone I've known all my life and finally got to meet in person...like a pen pal. I listen to searchlight constantly...But The Lord reminded me that it's not the man, Pastor Jon per se that I admire- it's God's Spirit in Pastor Jon ...guess what ...that Spirit is in me too. And in you as well. Pray for your Pastor, the Pastoral staff and all church leaders...and pray for the church that we will not be like the world ---viewing Pastors as Super-Men, because there's only one Super-Man, JESUS.  

Also search your heart. Maybe you have never put a Pastor on a pedestal, but you have put a spouse, friend, or other leader there.  That spot is reserved for Jesus. 

Deut 6:5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might." 




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog