Thursday, June 11, 2015

What I learned from a t-shirt at In N Out

You know when you're done with a road trip you just really want to get home?

However no amount of trail mix or chips or fruit can hold you over you just want to eat a real lunch??
On our way home from Zion Utah we stopped in Victorville at In N  Out. We usually do not eat inside we just take it to go in the car...(we go in and out!)

But this time we ate in the patio and there was a good reason!

As we sat down, 4 young girls sat near us...

4 young women in their early twenties. All beautiful... They began to talk and laugh and of course I could hear.... They discussed bars and what their favorite drinks were. One young lady had a t-shirt that read
"Mimosa Monday, Tequila Tuesday and Whiskey Wednesday"

My heart felt sad and my Spirit grieved. I need to talk to these girls!

Now I love talking about The Lord, encouraging people praying with others...
With Believers.
When it comes to talking to strangers about Jesus I get nervous.
I silently prayed for them and prayed for an opportunity to share.

I got up from my family and walked to the rest room ... I prayed Lord I feel you want me to share with these girls but what do I say? "Jesus loves you." And walk away? Do I point out the t-shirt? Holy Spirit lead me. I walked into the eating area and Olivia is there "Mom they called our number . Our food is ready." Oh well ... I guess I lost my chance (good the flesh said... You're off the hook) "No! I need to obey ! I prayed in the Spirit. Olivia's just going to have to come with me"

"Liv let's get the food and you come with me. The Lord wants me to talk to these girls"

What do I say Lord what do I say???

Then the Holy Spirit reminds me- the t-shirt!!! The girl's t-shirt!

"Hi! Can I ask where did you get that t-shirt?"
She answers  and says the store name...
I said "when I saw your shirt, it made me really sad. My dad died the day after Christmas from drinking. I just wanted you to know that Jesus is the living water you are looking for. You are all beautiful and God loves you."

Oh ok thank you... One girl said. Another girl did not look pleased but she simply stood quiet.

I had some flyers for a young women's conference in
My purse and I gave them one each.

I walked outside and shared with Chuck. He prays "Lord I pray whatever my wife shared with those young girls it would be received and they would come to know you"

I share this not to boast. In fact, these are completely awkward moments for me.
I debated whether or not to share this at all...

But today I realized it's important to share this t-shirt story because-
-it was a random day, Friday
-it was a random city- Victorville
-it was a random place, In N Out
-it was a random group, four young ladies
-it was a random t-shirt with a message
But the message I was impressed to share was not random. In fact it is the power of God to salvation (Romans 1:16)

see this event was a divine appointment.
I have seen alcohol kill people.
I am a young lady too.
I like In N Out.
I like fashion and it was natural for me to approach them with a clothing question.
It was a divine set up!

My husband pointed out that this girl will probably remember my conversation with her every time she puts on that shirt... God will remind her that while those alcoholic drinks can lead to alcoholism and kill, Jesus is living water and He gives life. (John 10:10)

Jesus went out of His way to meet up with the Samaritan woman. It was a divine set up, not a random coincidence. (John 4:1-42)

I almost walked away. When I saw Olivia's little face I immediately thought... I lost my chance to share. But the Spirit pressed me...NO- don't walk away. Share now!

What I learned from that t-shirt  at In N Out is this- STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE. Be bold because the young people today need Jesus. Have a church flyer, gospel of John or other witness tool with you if the opportunity comes. Don't let anything get in the way of sharing , not even your burger or child because the enemy will use anything to get you to NOT speak up...let's do this! Let's be about our Father's business and allow the Spirit to lead us to seemingly weird places for people that are ripe to receive the Gospel.  (Luke 10:2)







1 comment:

  1. May the Lord bless you for your faithfulness, my friend. May we all be brave and obedient when the Lord calls upon us to act.

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog