Friday, November 12, 2010

A Future and a Hope

I have been reading through Jeremiah and I must confess, it's depressing....So many terrible things happen in this book. The people reject Jeremiah's prophecies, Jeremiah weeps, the people continuously reject God and His promises, etc.

"Jeremiah is known as 'the weeping prophet' (Jeremiah 9:1), but he did not weep for himself. He wept over the lost condition of his people..." (author unknown)

So as I was reading I came across one of our beloved verses...Jeremiah 29:11. It just jumped out at me...I read through Jeremiah's call to repentance, his prophecies about Israel about to be overtaken by Babylon, about a promised remnant, etc.

Wiersbe says the four themes of Jeremiah are rebellion, repentance, righteousness, and retribution.

It's a tough read. It seems as though God's people will never get it together...God even gives a picture to Jeremiah of good figs and bad figs and calls His people "bad figs" that cannot be eaten. There is nothing more nasty than moldy fruit! But the good figs represented the remnant God would preserve...

When I came across Jeremiah 29:11, I was reminded of all the times I have read this verse...in a card on graduation, in a card for a baby dedication, etc. I love this promise from God's Word! The LORD had reminded me of it for the future of my son Isaac. Some say he has a "speech delay" because at almost 3, he is not saying words yet. Nonetheless, God spoke to my heart and reminded me that His plans and thoughts towards Isaac are good and not evil...

But there was something new I learned from this verse...the historical context!

Listen to the verses before and after it:

"The LORD Almighty, the God of Israel says, 'Do not let the prophets and mediums who are there in Babylon trick you. Do not listen to their dreams because they prophecy lies in my name. I have not sent them.' says the LORD. The truth is that you will be in Babylon seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. For I know the plans I have for you, ' says the LORD. 'They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. I will be found by you, 'says the LORD. 'I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and bring you home again to your own land.' " Jeremiah 29:8-14

It's been an amazing journey over the last 11 weeks studying Daniel at Calvary Chapel Chino Valley with the women's Bible study. The Beth Moore DVD series is an awesome compliment and commentary to studying this amazing book...

Since we have been in Daniel, I was so familiar with this Babylonian exile that Jeremiah talks about here....Babylon is a type of the world, a self-centered, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, godless society. We live in Babylon today. We are encouraged to be like Daniel, to pray even if it is against the law and to NOT bow down to the world's golden image, even if it means we are thrown into a lion's den. Here, Jeremiah warns us NOT to believe the false prophets. The Israelites were being lied to. They were told, "Don't worry! You aren't going to be taken captive for 70 years into Babylon, so just ignore Jeremiah's warnings." God says, "That's a lie! You are being lied to! I know my plans for you and I know what I am doing and what I am doing is always, yes, always for your good!" (please note, not all things that are allowed in this world ARE IN THEMSELVES GOOD, but God will always work them together for good -Rom 8:28)

Wow! This amazing promise from the LORD (Jeremiah 29:11) has even MORE power in my life in knowing that God did send Jeremiah to give warning of judgment- they would be taken captive by evil Babylon for 70 years, but this was not the end!!! God would end their captivity and restore them. It's like us friends!!! We are in a world that is not our home. We are living in a world that loves evil...but God is at work!

The verses right after Jeremiah 29:11, verse 12 and 13, say, "In those days you will pray, I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me"

We must do our part too! We must pray and read.

I love what Warren Wiersbe says, "God's people have the responsibility to seek the LORD, pray and ask Him to fulfill His promises, for the Word and prayer go together." (Acts 6:4).

Isn't that so awesome?

I know you love Jeremiah 29:11 too- God's promise that His thoughts and plans for us are good and not for evil or disaster and that He promises us a blessed future and a hope. But what are we to do about this? Pray all the more! Pray God's Word BACK to Him and seek Him out in His Word.

What an encouragement! Thank you LORD for books like Jeremiah and Daniel that give us examples of people who were faithful in a generation that rejected them...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Laura........wonderful!!! You covered so much that was in my heart as I went before the throne of the Lord this morning. I set myself to continue to pray for the lost. I know that the Lord holds their future in His hands. I must be patient and wait...but I know His will is to be done.
    Thank you for your heart and for your gift to put your wonderful thoughts in writing. You truly are a blessing.
    God Bless you and keep you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God Helen. It's always a challenge when I'm writing the blogs...The enemy brings distractions and I get so overwhelmed and want to give up. But the LORD impresses my heart to KEEP WRITING so that others may be encouraged. I am SO blessed that you were encouraged. God is so very good to us! God bless you and keep you too dear sister as you seek His glorious face :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog