Saturday, October 23, 2010

Change

I have been thinking a lot about change...not like Obama's campaign slogan "Change we can believe in...." Not political change, but spiritual change.

I am talking about change in our walks with the LORD.

When Chuck and I were dating we would often go on a date to Chili's for lunch or dinner. I love soup so one of my favorite things to order is Chicken Enchilada Soup and salad. Their soup is soooo good. Even if on the rare occasion I decided to get a different meal, I would often get a "cup" of that soup because it's just so delicious.
I had this battle everytime I went to Chilis. I look at the menu (which I pretty much have memorized) and I would still get the soup and salad. It's my favorite and I just enjoyed getting the same thing over and over.

We can do this in our walk with the LORD.
We read our Bibles. We pray. We attend church services. We listen to Christian music...but we feel dry.

I challenge you that the reason may be it's time for a change.

We all know that trials stir us up. Trials make us fall on our faces in prayer like never before. Trials make us weep when we read our Bibles, when we ponder the Psalms because it's as if God is speaking to our hearts in a fresh way. We feel like David's words are our words. If you know someone who is righteous and has had trial after trial after trial, you read Job and the Bible comes alive. You see how Job was tested and either you, or someone close to you is tested too. The Bible offers great encouragement to us when we are going through trials...
Worship is heightened when we are in trials. You hear a song on the Christian radio and you cry or shout out loud because it's so moving...it ministers to the deepest part of your soul.

But what about when you aren't going throuh difficulty? What about when you aren't personally going through a major trial? You feel blessed. Your family is healthy. The bills are paid. Things are going great....but you might feel dry spiritually.

It's time for a change. (They sang as it were a new song before the throne...Rev. 14:3)

God has spoken to my heart that we can be proactive in stead of reactive in our walks with God. Instead of waiting for a trial to deepen our faith and strengthen our walk, we can (as the Holy Spirit leads) make a change, a decision of the will to NOT BE COMPLACENT. God is waiting for us to climb out of our box (or jump out!) and run to Him in a fresh and NEW way.

"He has put a new song in my mouth— Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the LORD." Psalm 40:3
"Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, For in You do I trust; Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, For I lift up my soul to You." Psalm 143:8

This is what I mean...

Change it up!!!
-Maybe you have read the New King James Version all of your life. Get a new version, or use a new Bible commentary during your devotional time.
-Maybe you always sit in the middle row back center at church. Sit somewhere else! You will meet some new people and it will change the experience at church (break your routine, once in a while).
-Maybe you always pray in a certain posture. Change it. I am not saying you have to be dogmatic about it. Try to lay totally face down to the floor, or take a walk and pray with your eyes opened thanking God for all the things in nature that inspire you to give Him praise.
-Change the words you use in your prayers. God is all about relationship. He loves when His people pray. But for OUR SAKE we need to change our routines in prayer. Use the psalms as a model and pray back God's promises to the LORD. Use different words than you usually do. Just think of it as a conversation with God and express your heart.
-Take some time each day to pray, just for the purpose of worship. Pray the names of God and thank Him for who He is. Praise Him for what He has done, is doing, and will do in the future.
-Fast for someone you love who is going through a heavy trial or for someone's salvation.
I believe there is nothing that increases and enhances our prayer time quite like fasting! (you can fast one meal a day or fast from something you enjoy like coffee, chocolate, shopping, tv, etc. there are so many ways to fast...)
-Hang out with a new friend and talk about what the LORD is doing in his/her life. Ask this friend how you can pray for them.
-Pray for missionaries.
-Think about the Holiness of God and how far from His standard we are. Ask God to work in your heart to make you holy, not in a self-righteous way, but in a way that honors Him. (But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." (1 Peter 1:13-16)

We must fight against comfort. What I am advocating is this, if you feel "comfortable" in your walk right now, do something to make you uncomfortable. Do something out of the box. Fight against becoming luke warm-
""I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth." Rev. 3:15-16

Listen to this from A.W. Tozer, "Fighting Complacency" -Be hard on yourself and easy on others. Carry your own cross but never lay one on the back of another. Begin to practice the presence of God. Cultivate the fellowship of the Triune God by prayer, humility, obedience and self-abnegation. Let any Christian do these things and he will make rapid spiritual progress. There is every reason why we should all go forward in our Christian lives and no reason why we should not. Let us go on."

Let's "practice the presence of God."

That's it friends!!!!! We all need to work on this. We all need to change our routines and begin to intentionally practice His presence and allow Christ to invade every area (and I do mean, EVERY area of our lives). Let's ask God to through His Holy Spirit allow us to worship Jesus in a new way, singing Him a new song.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful and true Laura. You have inspired me to enhance my time with the Lord. Thank you for sharing this with us. My day has been blessed even the more so by reading this. Have a wonderful day and, see you on FB.

    Blessings,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, it's like what Dr. Bruce Baloian said the other day, if we want to bear fruit, we have to allow the master to plow the soil. Ouch! It hurts sometimes, but He is so faithful to plow our hearts and CHANGE US so we can then bear more fruit. I am so thankful and blessed you were encouraged by this! It has been on my heart for weeks, but just yesterday I wrote the blog b/c if I didn't I was gonna burst!! LOL God bless you and keep you sweet sister! Laura

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog