Saturday, June 5, 2021

My friend Daniel

 My friend Daniel

Isaac and I go to a park every day.

It’s in Upland.

Sometimes we venture to a different one in Ontario or Chino... or Bonelli...but the default park is in Upland. 

We go every day.

Even when it rains, even on days he has school, and even on Sundays and holidays.

Part of autism includes a comfort in routine...

When we can’t go to the park it really bothers him...

There is another mom I see often with a son (on his scooter) and she walks her black lab.

The son’s name is Daniel.

He is the only person for over a year who has ever paused to talk and get to know me.

He is also on the spectrum.    

He noticed Isaac and asked if Isaac had autism- I said “Yes” and he said “me too”

I saw him on this last Friday.

Daniel loves trains.

He volunteers at a train museum and knows everything about trains.

I mentioned I visited Colorado once and he said, “Oh you must have seen logging trains”

He knows tons of facts and the history of trains and their evolution.

On Friday we spoke again.

We talked about birthdays.

I explained to him that Isaac has an obsession with birthdays.  

I said “Hey Daniel, you know how you like trains? That’s how Isaac feels about birthdays. He likes everything about birthdays. The cake, presents, pizza, piñata, balloons, decorations- All of it”

He said “oh yeah! That’s the good stuff!”


It was so refreshing that Daniel didn’t think it was weird Isaac obsesses over birthdays just like I don’t think it’s weird he loves trains. I get it.


Then he shared how he recently stayed near Yosemite National Park for a birthday celebration.  His birthday is May 31.

I asked if he went into the National Park

 (I LOVE Yosemite!!) . 

He replied “No, you have to have a reservation. We stayed outside -near the park -where the railways are”


Catch that?


Daniel is much more interested in trains near Yosemite than the park itself. AMAZING! 

This is similar to Isaac who loves the package of a present- the bow- the paper- or the tissue paper & bag- than the actual gift (most times) 


God knew I needed to meet Daniel. 


He is able to articulate and communicate well but I gather he probably does not have many friends.

Kids/teens/ and adults with autism often appear to have one track minds- one interest- and sadly, that tends to irk or annoy people.


God has been reminding me that Isaac does not annoy Him. 


In fact, God loves birthdates and celebrations too.  He created them! 


God loves to listen to Daniel explain to strangers like me all about trains- God made his mind and gave Daniel a great ability to communicate.


I pray we can look beyond the oddness of people, or the strangeness of others or the quirky behaviors of those on the spectrum.    


For when you enter the world of others (and allow them to enter yours) you’ll find you’ve made a friend.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog