Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Yes Sensei!

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding
Prov 9:10

January is the first month of the year...
Genesis is the first book of the Bible and when we read it, we see the “beginning” 
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Gen 1:1
John 1:1 reads “In the beginning was the Word” 
Let’s Jump forward to John’s Gospel.
John 13:3-7 
“Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and dry them with the towel that was around Him. He came to Simon Peter, who asked Him, “Lord, are You going to wash my feet?”Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” 

I love this picture and I love and treasure Jesus’ words here. You see I often wonder at what in the world Jesus is up to.

I know Jesus is Lord, King, Sovereign and able to do above and beyond all I could ask or think of... 
....but I don’t get it....
I just don’t understand what He is up to.

I love the movie Karate Kid.
I can watch it over and over again.
We love when the kid that gets bullied ends up winning the trophy.
It’s awesome!
The other day I was thinking about how as Christians we are in training.
Psalm 18:34
He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. 
Psalm 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle; 

We are in a REAL spiritual battle.
We get that.
Jesus is the Victor.
We get that too.
But your methods Lord... they seem kind of odd, kind of weird, kind of strange.
Enter Mr Myagi.
Where did Daniel go to initially to learn karate?
He went to the Cobra Kai studio.
He went to the “world’s” way of training 
This would not work.
He needed a new Sensei ...(or teacher)
He goes to Mr Myagi who tells him to wax the car. Wax on, wax off...
You gotta be kidding me.
Then paint the fence...
Not right and left horizontally... but up and down.... breathe in, breathe out.
Daniel did not understand Mr Myagi’s methods and in fact at one point he starts feeling like a fool.
But then Mr Myagi lets loose and let’s Daniel in on something...
He has been teaching him Karate the whole time! 
Similarly, our Rabbi, our Master Teacher Jesus is slowly, faithfully, and daily teaching us...
Wax, on wax off...
Breathe in, breathe out...

Since “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” 
Prov 9:10 we must go back to the beginning.
Fear God.
That’s step one.
Reverence Him
Worship Him. 
Learn His ways.
Study the Gospels.
Notice sometimes Jesus is stern (He calls the religious leaders out “you are white washed walls.” Ouch!) 
Other times He is tender, holding up children and praying for them.
Jesus.
He is our sensei.
He wants us to learn from Him!
He actually says “Learn from me”

Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

I do not understand His methods of training.
I might feel foolish, but I choose to fight my flesh and my strong desire to “understand “ what Jesus is doing...
Instead, I will daily check in with Him
“What is on the agenda today Jesus ?” 
Paint a fence, wash the car, sand the floor? Fold clothes, pray with someone? 
I’ll do it; I’ll obey because I trust you and I will obey your teachings... you are training me to be a warrior for your kingdom! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog