Saturday, April 7, 2018

Stay in the Exam

“Stay in the Exam!” 

“Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.”
I Corinthians 9:24 NKJV

When I was preparing for the Bar Exam (the test to practice law) my colleague told me “stay in the bar exam” even if you feel like you’re failing, even if you totally bomb one of the essays, don’t check out, stay in the test..
Don’t talk to people... 
others will say 
“Wasn’t that first question easy? I saw these 5 issues...” 
You will then say to yourself “oh no! I didn’t see ANY of those 5 issues. I’m failing I just know that I am failing”
Then you proceed to “check out” and not try any more... 
how do you know what questions you got right or wrong?
So... 
don’t talk to other people... 
don’t let others get in your head..

Joshua 6:10
“Now Joshua had commanded the people, saying, “You shall not shout or make any noise with your voice, nor shall a word proceed out of your mouth, until the day I say to you, ‘Shout!’ Then you shall shout.””
Joshua 6:10 NKJV
Sometimes we must be quiet and avoid the voices of others... we must not shout or make noise until God says to. 

This is the same with life! You go through trials and your flesh says.... 
I’m failing! I just know I’m failing.
Look at Susy! Her kids just got baptized. She’s rocking this exam of life..
Look at Jimmy, he is nice to his wife and kids. He never yells or acts rude. 
These people have it all together and I certainly don’t.
I was thinking about how awkward that silence must have been with Joshua and the others. That would be required to March, put their “ear buds in” and say nothing for 7 days! What a challenge for me that would be 

Phil 1:6 says 
“being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;”
Philippians 1:6 NKJV

Why do we so easily check out of exams?
It’s 99.9% mental.
We give up so easily. 
This is one reason why I admire athletes.
They push their bodies. They overcome adversity. They push their minds through all the negativity and say 
“I can!” The world may tell me I can’t, I may even tell myself I can’t. But I can!
I’m sure the enemy worked overtime on Joshua that this whole marching and not talking strategy was sure to fail.
BUT HE STAYED IN THE EXAM- Joshua was obedient no matter how odd the assignment was...

Now let’s look at Paul.

We all know Phil 4:13 
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

But look at the verses before and after: 
“Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress.”
Philippians 4:11-14 NKJV

Verse 14 ends with the word “distress”
Paul is not OK.
If Paul had Instagram he would post 
#TheStruggleIsReal with a photo of him in jail.

Paul is in the center of God’s Will and getting comfort for it?
No.
Paul is in the center of God’s Will and experiencing DISCOMFORT.
But Jesus is there...
Hope is there...
And contentment is there.
-Beautiful -
Paul can admit he is a beautiful mess and share his agony with others.
Paul is choosing to “stay in the exam” not to give up. Paul is choosing to drown out the noise and we are wise to do the same.

I’m so thankful for that little encouragement my colleague gave me years ago 
“Stay in the Bar exam”
Paul’s exhortation is similar- keep running- keep hoping- for He who began that work isn’t finished yet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog