Saturday, March 24, 2012

Surrender is a VERB

Surrender- verb
a : to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand;
b : to give up completely or agree to forgo especially in favor of another
c : to give (oneself) up into the power of another especially as a prisoner

God has been reminding me over and over again lately the need to surrender. I pray, "LORD I give my son Isaac to you" and "LORD I give my husband's heart and health to you."

Why can't I pray this once and for all and know it's all good?
Well tonight I felt I needed to look up the word surrender in the dictionary. Surrender, surely enough is an action word, a verb. When we surrender our lives to the LORD, it takes action. Surrender is not a one time deal.
We surrender over and over and over again.
Maybe you have trouble in your prayers giving something to God. You want to pray big because He is a big God, but you hold back. My encouragement- DON'T HOLD BACK.
Surrender! Give yourself up completely. Surrender is agreeing to forgo especially in favor of another. IN FAVOR. Does God have His favor on you? Yes, if you are a child of God and have accepted Jesus as your savior, Lord, King and Friend. God wants to pour blessings out. That's His very nature...He's a loving, giving, Father.

Whether you are laying yourself down, laying your flesh or desires on the altar, or you are interceeding for another, surrender.

Give up.

Yield yourself to God and let Him know HE is your boss. He is in control and you are yielding. I can't help but believe God is pleased with this type of prayer. I give up LORD. I surrender. I yield. I am not going to ask in prayer for my way. I want your perfect will. Even if that means I have to suffer, endure, or be uncomfortable, I surrender, because I know you have my good always in the forefront of your plans (Jeremiah 29:11).

I joke with Chuck and tell him, "We sing I surrender all...but what most Christians mean is I surrender most." Let's not surrender most, let's surrender all. This speaks to me. I need to surrender (actively yield) all my concerns to God, not most, or the ones I think He is capable of fixing quickly. No. Surrender all, means ALL. Even the trials or pain we think are impossible to fix.
Moses said in Deut. 3:23-24: 23 "...I pleaded with the LORD: 'Sovereign LORD, you have begun to show to your servant your greatness and your strong hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do the deeds and mighty works you do?'"
I noticed something in this verse. Moses witnessed the parting of the red sea....all the plagues, all the miracles. He saw the glimpse of the Shekinah glory of God, he was given the 10 commandments, etc. and here Moses said, "you have begun." Wow! That was just a beginning. God has only BEGUN to work His miracles and love out in your love. He's only just begun....

My encouragement is this----Don't surrender most, dear friends. SURRENDER ALL.

Why? Because of God's character, God's Word, God's great love for you. He gave us His Son, will He hold anything back from you? No. He is working on your behalf so give in and surrender. Remember, surrender is a verb, an action word and requires your action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog was...

Search This Blog