Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fashion Me

Fashion-

Webster's first entry definition is this: the make or form of something.

The more common definition (for a woman's brain at least) is this: a prevailing custom, usage, or style (1) : the prevailing style (as in dress) during a particular time (2) : a garment in such a style

Something occured to me a few hours ago and I HAVE to share it! I shared it the other day with my husband and I felt the Spirit leading me to write a blog about it...

The other day my mother in law asked me if I wanted her "In Style" magazine. She subscribed for one month for free and of course, they are continuing to send it to her even though she no longer wants the magazine.

In Style...It brings back memories...When I was in high school (x- years ago) I would eagerly wait for my new magazine. I reviewed it every month. I liked to look through the magazine and get ideas of how to "get the look for less."

Now, as a woman and closer to the LORD I have no desire to look at this type of magazine. Let me explain why:

1.) It's depressing. These types of magazines send a message of consumerism. You NEED this perfume to be attractive, You NEED this type of clothing to be hip and cute, You NEED to be as thin as these women (models) in the magazine, You NEED these accessories that cost $300 each (that's my downfall, jewelry and shoes), You NEED this make up to make you look pretty and on and on and on...
2.) My true identity is not in my outward appearance. As a teenage girl, it's ALL about how you look and appear. Now, I want to cultivate my relationship with Jesus. I want to be a woman after God's heart. I want to be a submissive, helpmate and encouraging wife to my husband. I want to be a mother who is praying for and pouring the love of God into my kids. That's what I want my identity to be! I want to encourage and pray for people. I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman.

Don't get me wrong! I still like fashion, clothes, shoes, accessories, make up, etc. However, those things don't DEFINE me. My identity is in Christ. I'm not writing this to seem overly spiritual or like I've arrived or anything...God is constantly pruning and purging me of lots of things....but God revealed to me, "You're not that girl any more. That girl that was constantly walking around a mall or make up counter trying to fix up and make the outside look cute and funky. Now, you have realized that true beauty comes from spending time with the Father. Let me fashion you"

Today I was listening to one of my favorite Phil Wickham cd's in the car. Part of the song says this, "Invade my very heart. Change me until I am who you want. Come and fashion me until every part is how you desire. Come and fashion me....come and fashion me..."

It clicked! The world's view of fashion and trends and clothing isn't really important to me anymore. I do like fashion, but it's not that important....I want to be clothed in robes of righteousness. (Isaiah 61:10) I want to put on the armor of God. (Eph 6:13) I want to put on love which is the bond of perfection. (Col 3:14) I want God to fashion my heart...well if I can
in-expensively (I made up the word) make my exterior fashion look cute that's just bonus...Remember the first definition of fashion is "the make or form of something." That's God's area- creating, forming and molding...

"I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks [himself] with ornaments, And as a bride adorns [herself] with her jewels." Isaiah 61:10

Please feel free to leave a comment. I will be blessed to read your thoughts...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your wise words. They touched my heart. We all get caught up with superficial beauty from time to time. It's important to a certain degree, but being a woman of God is the true beauty statement. Something I earnestly work on. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been one to follow fashion but I think we come to that point when those things or for me, like interest in celebrities, when we truly draw closer to a greater love. As I fall more in love with Jesus I realize we are only man, a vapor. I too realized I didn't care about those things anymore and now feel led to pray for those (celebrities) that don't know our Lord. God sees us all as equal and we should not idolize man or fashion, etc. I think for me staying away from the mall and not watching TV helps as the Lord continues to work daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments sweet friends!

    In Love-I like the statement "superficial beauty." It's true...exterior beauty passes (prov. 31) but being a beautiful light for God never fades.
    Lisa- I like how you try to stay away from the mall or tv and it is something God helps us do...It's interesting to me the way we once valued those things but now they have less value. I believe it's a mark of maturity. Thank you Jesus for removing those things we don't need and pouring into us, more of YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, would you please include me and my family in your prayers? Thank you in advance friend.

    Lord God please guide me in these times of trial. ~Belen

    ReplyDelete

This blog was...

Search This Blog